Please note: CHC33015 – Certificate III in Individual Support has transitioned to CHC33021 – Certificate III in Individual Support in 2023.
Gain the skills required to provide support services to older people and people with a disability, enabling you to assist them with their everyday and personal support needs, enhancing their independence, wellbeing, and improving their quality of life. You will also learn about communication, working with diverse people, legal and ethical requirements, healthy body systems, and safe work practices.
Choose between specialisations of Ageing, Disability, or a combined specialisation of Ageing & Disability, and become qualified to work in a range of facilities, including residential aged care facilities, communitybased service providers, and/or supported accommodation.
There are no specific academic entry requirements for this qualification.
Applicants for the Certificate III in Individual Support are expected to:
- Have a demonstrated capacity in learning, reading, writing, oracy and numeracy competencies to Level 3 of the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF). See Australian Core Skills Framework.
- Undertake a Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) assessment.
- Be able to use a personal computer, including basic word processing, spreadsheet, email programs and internet search engines.
Work Placement Requirements
You will be required to complete 120 hours of work placement.
Employers and work placement providers may require the following (at student expense):
- National Police Clearance
- DHS checks
- NDIS worker checks
- Manual Handling certificate
- Current First Aid certificate
- COVID-19 and Influenza vaccinations must be up to date
Industry Conditions and Skills
You must be able to meet the physical demands of this course, including manual handling.
You should have:
- an interest in working with people
- good communications and teamwork skills
- basic computer skills
- multitasking abilities
Other Course Requirements
Students are required to complete the written assessments outside of class time, which depending on the students underpinning knowledge, may be approximately 6-10 hours per week.
Course length is 12 months.
- Port Lincoln
Delivery Modes Available
Blended – some classroom work is required.
- Full fee: $3,500.00
- Subsidised fee: $500.00*
* Supported by the Government of South Australia. Visit skills.sa.gov.au for Participant Eligibility Criteria.
Total number of units = 15
- 9 core units
- 6 elective units, consisting of:
- at least 3 units from those units listed under Group A or B
- the remaining units from any of the Groups A, B or C below.
Any combination of electives that meets the rules above can be selected for the award of the Certificate III in Individual Support.
Where appropriate, electives may be packaged to provide a qualification with a specialisation as outlined below.
Packaging for each specialisation:
- All Core Units must be selected for all specialisations.
- All Group A electives must be selected for award of the Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing).
- All Group B electives must be selected for award of the Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability).
- All Group A and all Group B electives must be selected for award of the Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing and Disability).
All electives chosen must contribute to a valid, industry-supported vocational outcome.
- CHCCCS031 – Provide individualised support
- CHCCCS038 – Facilitate the empowerment of people receiving support
- CHCCCS040 – Support independence and wellbeing
- CHCCCS041 – Recognise healthy body systems
- CHCCOM005 – Communicate and work in health or community services
- CHCDIV001 – Work with diverse people
- CHCLEG001 – Work legally and ethically
- HLTINF006 – Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control
- HLTWHS002 – Follow safe work practices for direct client care
Group A Electives (Ageing Specialisation)
- CHCAGE011 – Provide support to people living with dementia
- CHCAGE013 – Work effectively in aged care
- CHCPAL003 – Deliver care services using a palliative approach
Group B Electives (Disability Specialisation)
- CHCDIS011 – Contribute to ongoing skills development using a strengths-based approach
- CHCDIS012 – Support community participation and social inclusion
- CHCDIS020 – Work effectively in disability support
Group C Electives (Other Electives)
- CHCMHS001 – Work with people with mental health issues
- HLTAID011 – Provide first aid
- HLTHPS006 – Assist clients with medication
If you have any questions regarding this course or would like to enrol, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 1300 885 697.