SIT30816 – Certificate III In Commercial Cookery
This qualification reflects the role of commercial cooks who use a wide range of well-developed cookery skills and sound knowledge of kitchen operations to prepare food and menu items. Using discretion and judgement, they work with some independence and under limited supervision using plans, policies and procedures to guide work activities.
This qualification provides a pathway to work as a commercial cook in organisations such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafés, and coffee shops.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
There are no specific academic entry requirements for this qualification.
Applicants for the Certificate III in Commercial Cookery are expected to:
- Have a demonstrated capacity in learning, reading, writing, oracy and numeracy competencies to Level 3 of the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF). See Australian Core Skills Framework.
The above requirements could be demonstrated by applicants in a variety of ways such as:
- Having completed secondary school to year 11;
- Verified references from an employer indicating that the applicant has demonstrated the above requirements in their workplace;
- Via an interview process that assesses the applicant’s skills.
Work Placement Requirements
Students undertaking a Certificate III in Commercial Cookery should be doing so under Australian Apprenticeship arrangements
Other Course Requirements
Students may be required to complete the written assessments outside of class time, which depending on the students underpinning knowledge, may be approximately 6-10 hours per week
Students must wear a clean, full Chef’s uniform including: Chef’s Hat, Chef’s Jacket, Necktie, Chef’s pants and appropriate enclosed footwear
Students must also supply a full set of Chef’s knives
Course length is 48 months
Adelaide, Port Lincoln
Delivery Modes Available
- Block release attendance at a group delivery in a venue conducted by a facilitator under an Apprenticeship
- Block release attendance at a group delivery in a venue conducted by a facilitator
Total course cost $9,264.57 or $400.00 per year of training if funded by WorkReady under a Training Contract (visit www.skills.sa.gov.au for eligibility criteria)