This unit of competency covers the skills and knowledge required to test the working atmosphere, using electronic test apparatus, to find out if it is safe for the proposed work.
It applies to situations where an individual may be required to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. The competency requires the person to interpret readings and take actions based on the interpretation.
Working environment may be hazardous, unpredictable, subject to time pressure, chaotic and expose responders to risk, on land or water, by day or night. Workplace atmospheres may include visible and invisible hazards and hazardous surfaces.
The unit is suitable for use in the following situations:
- · confined spaces
- · enclosed and partially enclosed spaces
- · hot work
- · storage tanks, silos, pits, pipes, shafts, ducts, transport vehicles and ships
- · testing as part of issuing a work permit
- · monitoring as part of working under a work permit
- · open areas
- · holding the gas tester by hand
- · lowering the gas tester into a space, e.g. on a line.
This unit of competency applies to an individual working alone or as part of a team or group and working in liaison with other shift team members and the control room operator, as appropriate.
No licensing, legislative or certification requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication
Applicants for this unit are expected to:
- Have a demonstrated capacity in learning, reading, writing, oracy and numeracy competencies to Level 2 of the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF). See Australian Core Skills Framework.
The above requirements could be demonstrated by applicants in a variety of ways such as:
- Having completed secondary school to year 10;
- Verified references from an employer indicating that the applicant has demonstrated the above requirements in their workplace;
- Via an interview process that assesses the applicant’s skills.
Work Placement Requirements
Other Course Requirements
Students must wear full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including steel cap boots, long pants and long sleeved shirt at all times
Course length is 1 day
Whyalla, Roxby Downs
Delivery Modes Available
Full-time attendance at a group delivery in a venue conducted by a facilitator
Total course cost $250.00
Next Course Commencing
There are currently no courses running
If you have any questions regarding this course or would like to enrol, please contact us on:
Phone: 1300 885 697